Friday, June 29, 2012

Bethany the Bike Rider

One of the great things about living here in Grossbissendorf (besides the backerei truck visits) is how easy it is to step outside the door and find a trail. Whether I want to walk or run, hike, ride my bike, or just explore.

Today MM and I got up early and tiptoed out of the house while the children were still sleeping. We got on our bikes and hit the trail towards Hohenfels. We passed Hohenfels, and Friesmule, and Carolinenhof, and a bunch of other little village towns. All the while riding on a bike path carved through fields, farms, forest, and wildflowers. We crossed over little bridges and creeks. We passed picnic areas. We stopped at a bakery for Kasebreze (cheese pretzels), kafe, and croissants with nutella and jam. And then we kept riding.

We got back home around noon. I know it probably seems like a simple morning, but sometimes it's the simple things that make me the happiest. Before I moved here it had been many years since I rode my bike more than a couple of miles. Haunted by a childhood incident when I hit a mail truck while riding my bicycle, I thought my bike riding days were over. Thank you Bavaria for giving them back to me, and for giving us bike paths with no mailboxes.


Here I am. On the Tour de Bavaria.


No comments:

Post a Comment