Last night even though she was exhausted from the long trip, we took her to the Summer Fest at Thurn und Taxis castle in Regensburg. We took the train and walked to the fest and enjoyed the 70's Disco music (I love Donna Summer!) ate some pretty good food, then hitched the last train of the day back to Parsberg. Only problem is when we arrived at the Parsberg station, we couldn't get off the train. We pushed the green button that was supposed to open the door but the door would not open, and the train continued down the track. Ruh-roh. We were stuck on the train!! Since they wouldn't go back for us, we got off at the next stop, Seubersdorf, 14 km away. It was raining, thundering, and lightning and it was past midnight; the next train to Parsberg wasn't expected until 0500. We couldn't get a cab. Luckily we had a friend in Seubersdorf who was nice enough to get out of bed to rescue us. Wow do I feel like an idiot....but at least we learned a valuable lesson: Never let Casey off the train first. All I kept thinking about for the rest of the night was, what if he had gotten off the train and the rest of us did not? From here on out we will move on and off trains in the "Sandwich Formation": The parents/adults being the bread. The kids being the peanut butter and jelly. That way the peanut butter is never left alone on the train track.
Never a dull moment. But wait, it gets better....
Today we went to Kallmunz. I knew there was a traveling circus with camels because I saw the camels on our bike ride to Kallmunz the other day. I told Casey we were going to see camels and he told me, "Don't be silly. There are no camels in Germany. Camels only live in Texas." (Not sure where he's getting his information, but whatevs...)
Anyway, so we end up in Kallmunz, and honestly all I wanted to do was LOOK at the camels and maybe get a photo of Casey near one. But as it played out, the circus show was about to start when we arrived and my mom thought it would be fun for all. So we bought tickets. I was wowed by the man who could balance six chairs on his forehead and the bird lady who taught her doves how to teeter-totter. And even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying, they somehow picked ME out of the crowd and pulled me up into the ring. And then told me to stand in front of this big wooden board. And then...the Ringmaster threw big, steely knives at me. I would have run away but I was too afraid to move, and then I kept thinking to myself, "These are professional circus people. Surely they will not kill me."
The good news is that I survived to tell the tale. I'm not sure too many people can say that they let someone throw knives at them. But I did. Because I'm cool like that.
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Casey goes to the circus...
Yeeks!
Enjoying my favorite trattoria in Kallmunz by the river.
Such a pretty town.
Rooftops of Kallmunz.
Proud of my mom for climbing up to the castle ruins. The view is always worth the hike.
Love the colorful homes of Kallmunz.
It's not every day you see a guy walking his llamas down the street.
No comments:
Post a Comment